Main computer in Home Office/Studio dead!


Yes even a Director if Technology can have his home computer die!
I'm almost embarrassed to say that the last computer I bought for myself was a first generation iMac. It was a 600mhz G3 in a wonderful smoky color case. I recorded several self produced recording projects on that machine. I used it for recording up until 2005. Now don't misunderstand me, I've since used faster computers, but they were all hand me downs in a sense. Someone would upgrade and ask if I wanted their old computer. Most of the time their computer was faster than the one I was currently using, so I'd say “yes”. The most recent machine was a Dell XPS 600 that I inherited from my friend and Ships on Fire collaborator L.E. Spry. He upgraded and asked if I wanted the Dell. It has been the main machine for the last 3 years. All the music I wrote for various soundtrack projects in the last couple of years was done on that machine. So know I start the process of moving over to another machine.
Currently my interim computer is a Linux machine that is about 10 years old but since it's running Linux it's actually pretty zippy. The big question is what am I going to use for audio production. I can try to use wine and use the Windows version of Reaper and install my Windows based plugins or I can go the Audacity route. I haven't decided yet. This of course might be a positive thing as it will force me out of my comfort zone in many areas. My work flow for music and technology projects will have to change. This could spark a fresh perspective.

On to some technology ideas. In my department we have a lot of meeting and conference rooms. Right now we post paper sheets with the days event in each room outside the door next to the room on the wall. I know there are digital solutions to place screens that are tied to room scheduling systems that allow for a paperless solution. But that can lead to proprietary systems that are expensive to purchase and to install. I had an idea that centered on using iPads that would show only applications that are designed around the room usage. The applications could be updated through wireless communication. It would provide interactive touch screens at a relative inexpensive price. There are enterprise solutions that would securely mount and protect the iPads. I haven't completed my research but this may be a cool alternative to paper.

Well gotta run. I've got a lot of data to transfer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in the Studio

Silverlight media creation

Scoring short film "Dayplanner of the Dead"