Being asked to dream...

It's been a while since I've written anything, so I'm forcing myself this morning to post something...anything.


I have been very busy at work. Since my Database Manager joined the team, we've been busy writing scripts and updating databases, and overall doing catch up on projects that have been put on the back burners since before I became the Director of Technology. I won't go into the details because it's pretty standard stuff for tech. departments and I don't want to sound like a whiner.

So....

I want to talk about a few other things I've been working on.

1. Finding time and mental energy to compose music has been very difficult lately. This summer has been very draining mentally for me. So I've been trying different things to jump start or create a spark for my creativity. One tool I played around with recently has been what's called a tracker. see this wiki entry for trackers.
Music Tracker

My experiments were primarily based on creating space ambient tracks. But I found having to build a sample library to use in the tracker was too time consuming and not the way I like to compose. I'm more of an improv, quick capture kind of composer. So Since I'm running Linux these days, I decided to give Freewheeling a try. Think Ableton live for Linux. We'll see how this goes. I'll keep you posted.

2. The second thing was started by a phone call I got at the office that was out of the blue. A local designer is working with a client in Boston to design a new kind of podium. The designer wanted to meet with me to discuss the present and future of presentation technology. We talked about Crestron integration, multimedia, mobile technology, New User Interface, presentation software, the impact that the iPad and Google docs has on presentation creation and presentation; a real Bill Buxton kind of conversation. Luckily I recently took the virtual tour of the exhibit of Bill Buxton's electronic gadget collection. I also watched the video where he personally gives a tour and talks about items in the collection.
The conversation was very cool! To have a designer as you to dream about presentation technology and what you would like to see in a product. No limits! Just dream!
I can't share any designs with you because it's all secret prototype stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in the Studio

Silverlight media creation

Scoring short film "Dayplanner of the Dead"