Snow Day!

March 3 brought sleet and snow to Central Virginia; causing UVA to cancel classes and allowing non-essential personnel to stay home. So I'm using today to get sound cues ready for a community theater production my kids are involved with. It's been years since I put together sound FX for a theatrical production so it's a nice little diversion from the production music I've been writing lately. I have been recording a lot of production music lately.

Right now I have three pieces currently in various states of being done. It's typically how I compose lately. I'll work on one to a certain point, leave to rest, while I move to another piece. Then I go back and tweak the previous one with fresher ears. This keeps me from "burning out" on a piece. If your ears are tired, then you can't hear anything new. The recent spark of creativity is largely due to my sample collection getting a nice big boost from some recent additions to the collection. The additions were mostly orchestral samples. I also started converting some great old soundfonts into wav based samples so I can use them in the sampler that I'm currently using. I'm excited about converting these soundfonts to samples, because over the years I have collected some really great soundfonts. Having a good sample collection is key. It's great to hear an an instrument or sound that wouldbe perfect for the piece your working on and know you have it in your collection.

Another reason for the recent creative spark is I found out yesterday morning, over breakfast that I had some music in the NFL on FOX Minnesota at Cinncinati game.Finding out about placements always make one want to get in the studio and compose and record more!

In other news; the house is a buzz right now with excitement and anticipation of a visit from my Brother and his family at the end of this week. When the Reifenstein Brothers get together; craziness usually ensues. Typically at some point somebody's face and ribs hurt from laughing so hard.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in the Studio

Silverlight media creation

Scoring short film "Dayplanner of the Dead"