Trusty Roland PC-200 retiring...

As a kid while staring at the back of Isao Tomita albums (yes vinyl albums) I dreamed about someday owning audio equipment that were stamped with the names I saw in Tomita's studio. Names like Moog, Roland, and Bode burned into my mind as "must haves" for when I had my own studio.
I've been successful in owning two out of the three names. I own a Moog synthesizer and three pieces of Roland equipment. My first of the Roland brand was my trusty go to keyboard MIDI controller, the PC 200 MkII.
I't survived many smokey bars, clubs, and art galleries. It's lived through cold over nights in the back of vans and in the trunks of cars; many times with no case and crammed in what ever space was available. It's hard plastic shell survived falling of the top of a pile of gear on a cart during load ins and outs. However, every time I needed it, it would turn on and be ready to go. Now however after 17 years it's started to show it's age.
As I have transitioned over to being a studio rat composing music for TV and Film my needs have changed. While road worthiness is still a trait I appreciate; I now rate consistency as a top trait. Unfortunately the PC 200 MkII is no longer consistent in it's performance. Now I have noticed that velocity messages are not being set consistently from key to key. Now I know I can fix this in the sequencer afterwards, but it can be jarring to listen to when you composing a melody line or something and suddenly a note is unbalanced. It can throw you out of a mood or flow rather quickly, at least for me. So on Tuesday I sadly retired it from my main set up for composition. i sadly because I've become used to the feel of the PC 200's feel. Key travel, etc. Understand it was by no means the best for key response; they weren't weighted, but there was good sensitivity for velocity. I have a smaller M-Audio O2, but it's too small and the keys don't travel enough for me. So for now I am using an older model Yamaha keyboard controller. It's ok. It will take some time to get used to it. for the long run I'm not sure what I'm going to use. I guess I'll start looking at some other Roland controllers designed for composers.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in the Studio

Silverlight media creation

Scoring short film "Dayplanner of the Dead"