I've been using computers for over 20 years to compose and record music. During those 20 years I, like most, who use Windows based computers in our productions have gotten used to using ASIO drivers for our audio hardware. Well I think those days have come to an end.
I read that with Windows 10, Microsoft gave their audio stack some extra attention. The result is that WASAPI is way more robust than in the past. Cakewalk posted on their website that Microsoft worked closely with the major DAW makers out there to ensure their software would perform better using Microsoft drivers. I decided to test this last night in the studio.
I have to agree that using the WASAPI drivers on my legacy M Audio gear gave me much lower latency at higher bit rates than with the ASIO drivers. Another side effect seemed to be more robust performance in Cakewalk Sonar X3 Studio. Since this isn't a tech audio blog, nor am I an audio technology professional I'm not gonna start posting a long list of numbers, and I'll admit my opinion may be anecdotal. I also have more testing to do. I will say however that if what I'm seeing so far holds to be true; I'll most likely stay with Microsoft WASAPI drivers for my main studio set up.

Speaking of the studio. It's been busy in my little studio lately. I was busy finishing up some music for a commission over the weekend. I started mastering the latest set of cues for Jingle Punks this week as well as starting an action cue for fall upload to Jingle Punks. I'd like to get stuff in the Jingle Punks catalog in the early Fall, for the latest stuff to be available for Spring and early Summer TV productions. Lastly I am writing some music to be used as a live event score for the Evan City Living Dead Festival events coming up in October. Details are still being worked out. I occasionally make an appearance to perform the live score; however I don't think I'm going to get to do that this year.
If your interested in the event you can find information here: http://www.thelivingdeadweekend.com/

As always keep checking my Soundclick page for the latest music.

https://soundcloud.com/rmreifenstein

I sometimes put exclusive production music for download up so keep looking.

As always, thanks for listening!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in the Studio

Silverlight media creation

Scoring short film "Dayplanner of the Dead"