Started building new touchscreen installation in exhibit gallery...

I started working on the new touchscreen installation for the main exhibit gallery this morning. The original touchscreen failed to restart after a power glitch during a storm last week. The machine was due to be replaced anyway. I dismantled and removed the old machine from the pedestal. It will be replaced by an HP touchscreen run by a computer in the cabinet of the pedestal. However much to my disappointment the Bose speakers that are built into the pedestal take up too much space inside the cabinet of the pedestal to allow for a regular sized PC in side. At first I thought of using a small form factor Dell that we may have in surplus; but my colleague suggested a more devious plan. You see Apple doesn't have support for true multitouch for displays without a home brewed solution like Lux. Plus because of my development work for our Microsoft Surface located in one of our other galleries, I'm getting more comfortable and familiar with XAML and C#. SO.. the devious plan is to force a Mac Mini to run Windows 7, use it's native touch capabilities, combined with the latest Surface run time for Win7 beta, mix in a little XAML and C# and we've got a cool multitouch installation. I hope! 
I'll be testing the HP touchscreen and the proposed runtimes on my MacBook Pro that is boot camped with Windows 7. I'm hoping their aren't any weird issues with drivers. You never can tell what's not going to jive correctly between Windows drivers and the Apple hardware.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in the Studio

Silverlight media creation

Scoring short film "Dayplanner of the Dead"