Getting ready for Build

Getting ready to watch Microsofts Build conference sessions and keynotes this week. One session I will definitely be watching is on Day 3. “Sequencers, Synthesizers, and Software, Oh My! Building Great Music Creation Apps for Windows Store.” http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/3-548 Why?? It’s simple really. I have been using Windows for composing and recording Film and Theatrical music and SFX since the mid nineties’.
While I have used Macs for music production from time to time; I always seem to find a reason to go back to Windows based machines. I guess it’s a comfort level thing. I know how Windows handles digital audio recording, I know how it handles MIDI, and I know the software that runs on it to make music. After 20+ years of composing and recording, my workflow is based very much on the modern Windows environment. Especially with Windows 8 having One Drive so well integrated I use it for sending files to clients, receiving files from clients, backing up documents and sometimes session templates and final mixes.
Outside of the hardware used, I am also interested in the development of music software for Windows as we move into a NUI (Natural User Interface) based environment. As someone who got into writing applications for the Microsoft Surface table in 2008, I have always dreamed about using a computer table type of set up to run DAWs. Tactile and natural! As of right now the only company I see promoting the use of touch within a DAW is Cakewalk with Music Creator Touch 6. I’d like to see more. I should also admit I’m a Cakewalk user from way back. Around 95 I got my first Cakewalk experience. I’ve followed along with each new development; from Cakewalk Gold through Pro Audio9; from Plasma to Sonar. I’m still using Cakewalk products today.

So I’m looking forward to many things coming out of Build this week, but be sure that I’ll be watching the future of Windows based music creation tools very closely.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in the Studio

Silverlight media creation

Scoring short film "Dayplanner of the Dead"